Monday, 15 July 2013

How to Learn Math: EDUCN115 from Stanford University

I will use this space over the summer to share and reflect on my experience taking a free online course from Stanford University titled: How to Learn Math.


The fact that there I can take, for free, a course from an Ivy league school is exciting and potentially powerful. We will see.

The first thing about this class that I am excited about is that there will be a course for students offered in the Fall. I hope I can register our strategies students, if this turns out to be a good course for them.

Positive experience with the course #1: Click pause, change a diaper, back to math class.

Key take aways from the introductory session:

  1. Make sure your students know that you have high standards, and that you believe in their ability to achieve them.
  2. Math stereotypes can be debilitating and need to be actively combated. 
  3. Students should use their imagination in the math classroom. Indeed, it could be the only subject that can operated unencumbered by reality. Why imagining a perfect circle should be an artistic endeavour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment