I want to troll through the resources and link to the most valuable items that I am going to put to use in my math class.
Developing a Growth Mindset
All students can learn math, but they don't know that yet, and juggling, yes juggling, can help teach them that. We are going to start our math class learning how to juggle. I need students to understand that with the proper instruction and the proper mindset that they can learn anything. They should also begin to understand how it is the brain works.
Goal #1
- Students Develop a Growth Mindset
- Students Learn how the Brain Learns
Goal #2
- Students become comfortable making mistakes
- Students begin to develop number sense
For example: 9.8 + 8.7
- Get students to estimate before attempting to solve.
- Ask students to mentally solve the problem.
- Have them explain to partners and the class how they solved the problem.
Students should talk to each other and the teacher about ideas – Why did I choose this method? Does it work in other cases? How is the method similar or different to methods other people used?
Goal #3
- Students see themselves as capable at learning and succeeding in math
- Students think creatively and openly about numbers
- Everyone can do well in math
- Mathematics Problems can be solved with many different insights and methods
- Mistakes are valuable, they encourage brain growth and learning
No comments:
Post a Comment