Monday, 28 February 2011

In Defense of the Unplanned Teacher

I did not "plan" on teaching Edgar Allen Poe's The Pit and the Pendulum, but then I found these amazing resources. The first video is of a three year old child that is reciting Litany by Billy Collins. This will turn into a lesson where students themselves will memorize a poem.


Plus this fantasticness from the always amazing Richard Byrne: Interactive Comic for the Pit and the Pendulum

Now I will jam all of this greatness somewhere into my grade 8 class. I found it while reading my RSS aggregator on the weekend, and now I will use it.

That is two classes, at least, that popped out of nowhere. These days teachers should remain a little bit unplanned. The flow of information is so insanely fast that teachers should leave a majority of space, that's right a majority, open to the new ideas that arrive online every single day.

Information is becoming increasingly asynchronous, thus the well-planned teacher is going to miss the most relevant movement that is happening with the flow of knowledge.

In defense of the unplanned teacher. Look around, and don't plan too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment