Wednesday, 12 September 2012

In Solidarity

I am in more than a little torn about the idea of unions. I appreciate the idea of a strong union for the obvious reasons, and I also acknowledge the periodic necessity of the institution, but I also appreciate and acknowledge the obvious and oft-repeated criticisms of unions. This post is not necessarily about unions, but I wanted to make clear my position as a member in good standing with the ATA, but also as an, at times, critical member. Let's be especially clear (in order to avoid these words coming back to bite me). Unions are effective, and often necessary, but they, like any institutional organization, deserve to be regarded thoughtfully and, at times, critically. I reserve the right to question the actions of my union. Have I covered my ass enough yet?
EA's are able to bond with and give so much to special needs students. 

This article isn't about unions, it's about school support staff. Most particularly this is about Educational Assistants. I'm not going to lie. I am grossly uninformed about the supposed strike that the Catholic School Board Support Staff is undertaking right now. All I know is that on Monday hundreds of support workers for Edmonton Catholic Schools walked off the job.

I also know that Edmonton Public School support workers are currently in contract negotiations. This got me to thinking. What if the same happens here at my school? I have worked closely with the EA's in my school and I do not think there is a more underpaid, overworked group of intelligent, effective and caring people in this school.

Could I cross their picket line? Not in good conscience. Could my union make me cross their picket line? Probably, but isn't that hypocritical? Do I support the women that I have worked with closely in the last two years? Wholeheartedly. If anyone deserves more recognition, more hours and higher wages it is the EA's in this school.

Even while writing I have a curious feeling. I can write honestly about any number of educational issues and I never hesitate to click publish. But talking about unions, and talking honestly about working conditions... can I publish?

__________ right I can

No comments:

Post a Comment