Wednesday, 2 January 2013

New Year's Resolutions

Way more interesting than an update to my professional growth plan, here are my New Year's Resolutions for Westlawn School, complete with indicators of success.


I want to focus on three attainable goals from my professional growth plan. 

1. Continue the whole school student assessment of ability at mid-year (end of January and February). I need to improve upon the test format to try to eliminate error, speed up the tracking and posting of results, and keep a closer eye on the resources post-test. In the office, before the end of January I resolve to have the next stage of testing ready for school-wide implementation. Measure of success: Whole school data available by February 14th.

2. Math Intervention Plan. I have been struggling with this since May of last year. Our students are constantly asking for Math intervention, but there is no effective program in place. The after-school sessions could work, but there aren't any "teachers" in the library, and students do not consistently attend. As well, after school is not enough time to catch and assist our failing students. It is my personal believe that something radically different needs to happen in the math classroom for there to be more success overall,  
but that is not my arena to fight in, so I will stay focused on the intervention plan. Measure of success: by Spring Break, when I have students in my office that identify difficulty in math as a leading cause of behavioural problems and anxiety I will have a clear and concise strategy to help them through this. 

3. FNMI parent involvement. I resolve to improve my ability to collaborate by working closely with Ms. Cardinal in a project designed to invite Aboriginal Parents and Families into the building. Indicator of success: Parents and Families will help organize and implement the Aboriginal day celebration at the end of June. 
Can we get here by June 2013?

Well here we go! What are your resolutions for 2013 at Westlawn or at your school?

No comments:

Post a Comment