Thursday, 17 January 2013

Why this year is working.

There are so many positive things happening at Westlawn this 2012/2013 year that I wanted to take a second to acknowledge what is happening. I also wanted to try and explain why these things have occurred.

I'll start with a disclaimer: There is the possibility that here at Westlawn there is an unspoken undercurrent of discontent that I am simply not aware of. Now that I am in the office and not in the classroom I do not have access to all of the conversations that are happening behind the scenes. You know those conversations that are negative and critical of school direction. I imagine that there are still some critical and negative conversations taking place in a few corners here at Westlawn, but maybe there aren't. Besides, I have better evidence than teacher satisfaction to prove that something is going right here at Westlawn, Student satisfaction.


Students in Junior High let you know when they are not happy. Over the years here at Westlawn I have heard no shortage of "Westlawn Sucks" and I have seen more than one graffiti tag in the bathroom commenting on Westlawn's propensity for ball licking. Not this year though. I see something different in our students. They are being silly, they are being themselves, they are having small conflicts with their peers and coming up with peaceful solutions. I see students that are happy with their classes, and I hear about students that love their math class or their science class. I see less students isolated and alone, and I see more teachers trying to talk to those students. I see our gym full during sporting events, and I see teachers being listened to and respected when they talk to students. All of the evidence points to a student body that feels safe and cared for and challenged and happy. 


So what is causing this positive shift in student attitude? 
  1. ME - I am! Hey I called this the honest educator didn't I? I have had an immense impact on this school, and I want to do so much more, but at the same time
  2. YOU - Every time you take the time for the student and sacrifice yourself for them you are making a difference.  The individual relationship changes the student. Nothing can replace the impact that the individuals in this building have on the students.

It would be very easy to misunderstand this celebration of individualism, so let's not do that. Individuals still choose to work well in a team. Individuals are the ones that either talk positively or negatively. Individuals put in the extra work to make sure the entire group benefits and that is what is driving this school. Anybody at this school that wants to be great and do great things in their realm can. We have the freedom to put in long hours, to take the time to talk to kids, to care about how students act and behave. There is no edict telling us to behave this way. All of the successes are individual efforts that come from somewhere inside of the individual that decides to care enough. 

We are lucky enough at Westlawn to have enough strong individuals that care about doing the best damn job they can for themselves and for these kids, and you know what the beautiful thing is about the whole thing? It is downright contagious. 

And yes I was talking about you. 





No comments:

Post a Comment