Friday, 13 May 2016

Fostering Effective Relationships - Leadership Dimension 1

"The Principal builds trust and fosters positive working relationships based on the values and ethical foundations that reflect the school community."

"The Principal a) acts with fairness, dignity, and integrity plus g) supports processes for improving relationships and dealing with conflict within the school community."

I am on a journey of discovering the power of Restorative justice rather than punishment as a discipline model. This is difficult to achieve, but practice, awareness of opportunity and reflection are getting me closer to this goal.

Living in the space of restorative justice takes a shift of mindset, one that does not come easily or quickly. I have to be mindful of the restoration and learning opportunities in all situations.

The approach certainly does help foster more positive relationships because it treats all parties as valuable, that the offender and the victim have important lessons to learn. That there are no worthless people that deserve to be exiled, that all are worthy of fair treatment and reintegration into the positive community.

The most angry bully or vindictive student still feels like a victim on some level. By taking the time to understand the story of every actor one realizes what true fairness and dignity entails.

The process, in my present understanding works like this:
a) finding out information without involvement of people so that I can act with an idea of truth (investigation)
b) question those involved directly as individuals or in small groups in order to arrive at an agreed statement of facts
c) agreement and admission of guilt. What is the actual impact - I have hurt others with mean words. I have taken away from the safe feeling in the school.
d) creatively and without prejudgment arrive at an inverse act to counteract the harm done by the initial act.

I know that there are pieces of this process that need improving, but I am just getting started.

"The Principal b) demonstrates a sensitivity to and genuine caring for others and cultivates a climate of mutual respect plus c) promotes a respectful, inclusive school culture that honours diversity."

I am building a circle of courage school based on the values of belonging, mastery, independence and generosity. This foundation treats the entire human - student, teacher, staff - as an essential participant in their own life and the lives of those in the community. The most effective method in building up this culture is through a) my own conduct b) the homeroom character education program and c) staff professional development.

My students and staff are not fully aware of what the circle of courage is and what the values mean, and it is my task to educate them on this model and through this model.

"The Principal: d) acts in the best interest of all students plus e) models and promotes open, inclusive dialogue plus f) uses effective communication, facilitation, and problem-solving skills."

One of the key messages that works like magic in so many situations whether they are student-teacher, parent-teacher, or teacher-teacher is "Have you talked to the teacher?"

This phrase is a golden tool that all good principals must have learned along the way. It doesn't resolve everything, but it is a necessary first step that sends the message of importance, role, and power in the most effective way possible.

This is the starting point for fostering effective relationships.

"The Principal h) adheres to standards of professional conduct."

Everything I do I am considering the optics on my actions. It was a lesson that I had to learn early in my time as curriculum coordinator, but that internal dialogue, once embraced, grows and becomes ever-present. Every principal requires an active self-sensor. Emergent issue and quick decisions are thrust upon the principal regularly. The self-sensor gives me time to think before acting and my practice of asking for advice when needed is something I will always continue doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment