When asking questions in class about this week's article written by Kotter my curiosity must have sounded too much like criticism. Before I can begin to accept any authors ideas and findings I have to be aware of their process or methodology. Not because I require it in order to be convinced, but because I often find it more interesting than what they are saying. I was drawn into Kotter's article right away, and of course I noticed his opening remarks that, "over the past decade, [he]
has watched more than 100 companies try to remake themselves into significantly better competitors." This introduction had instant appeal for my eye to process and source information. Was he talking anecdotally or hyperbolically? What did he mean by watched? Does he mean studied? Or did he collect stories from friends in the various companies? Did he study other cases written primarily by other academics or did he review accounting reports and HR documents from these companies?
I like operating from the vantage point of naivete where I can question such giants in the field. This is yet another occasion where I can be excited by my own ignorance because I am being shown again and again how little I actually know. The choice I made to pursue this degree rather than a second degree in education continues to prove to be the correct choice.
 |
| All I Know is that I Don't Know Nothing |
The amount of information in Kotter's article that I will be able to use for my personal leadership style (set of management practices) should be easy to incorporate. Motivating employees and helping them see the need for change, and then pointing it out over and over makes so much sense. Far too often leaders try to implement change, but the leaders are the only ones who see the necessity. Not enough energy is given towards getting key players on the side of change. The Culture of any organization is already teeming with power and relationships, and leaders need to understand this dynamic in order to leverage it to help them fulfil own vision. Organizations would be far better served, of course by helping team members see it as their shared vision, but first the leaders need a clear idea of what that vision is. The vision must be clear, and it must be communicated to everyone over and over and over. If people have questions about it they need to be answered in a way that pushes the vision forward, but still respects the people asking the question. Kotter's description of why Transformation Efforts Fail reads like a how to guide in opening people eyes.
Maybe it's the quote from Socrates above, but isn't Kotter talking about showing people the drawings on the cave, making sure they follow the leader into the truth, accepting the reality once they see it, and not letting them turn around again into the darkness? ""And suppose once more, that he is reluctantly dragged up a steep and rugged ascent, and held fast until he's forced into the presence of the sun himself," I know any actual philosopher would be horrified at this comparison, but isn't wisdom all we are really talking about in this text? For the Leader to reveal his own mind and understanding to the other thoughtful beings that do not always see the truth of the situation!
 |
| Forgive this self-indulgence |
Jean Creping, CEO of Norwest Labs, was a brilliant individual, but he was not an effective leader. He saw the truth and he was not able to show that truth to the people around him. In order for his company to have created a long-term sustainable advantage, he needed to lead his employees out of their roles, show them what he knew in his own mind, and help them to continue to work in the new reality of his struggling company. Leaders are able to tap into the resources around them and show them the truth of their situation. All responsible and reasonable adults are ready to listen and respond to the leaders guidance, but they have to understand urgency. They need to accept that the new status quo is necessary. Crepin was incapable of accomplishing this.
I'm sure there is more to say about the effectiveness of gain sharing in certain industries and there is more to say about why Open Book Management helps empower employees, but if the humans that are in the organization do not understand the reason, the vision or the businesses reality than any strategy will be doomed to fail.
No comments:
Post a Comment